San Diego State University (SDSU), a truly global learning community, is an ideal place to begin your international education. SDSU's size, diversity, and academic reputation have made it one of America's major universities.
SDSU is the most established and largest university in the San Diego region (third largest in California), and impacts every aspect of life here like no other institution in the community.
SDSU has noteworthy programs in many fields, including business administration, engineering, public health, telecommunications, and public administration. It is also home to the largest library in the California State University System. As part of SDSU, the American Language Institute (ALI) is able to offer its students many benefits, including those listed below.
- ALI students can enroll in university classes as well as ALI English classes, depending on the student's program and English level. Qualified students can earn college credit for these classes without going through the SDSU admissions process (see Semester at SDSU).
- American Language Institute students have many of the same privileges as degree-seeking SDSU students, including access to the campus bookstore, library, cafeterias, restaurants, SDSU Health Services Center, and campus sports activities and clubs. Students receive free membership to the Aztec Recreation Center, a 23,000-square-meter state-of-the-art gym. Gym membership includes the use of new tennis courts, an Olympic size swimming pool, racquetball facilities, a climbing wall, dance classes, and a bowling alley. Students may also learn to surf, sail, water ski, and wind surf at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, the world's largest instructional waterfront facility.
SDSU, offering bachelor's degrees in 81 fields, master's degrees in 73 and doctoral degrees in 20, is home to top-ranking programs in business, psychology, biology, geography, education, social work, speech-language, public administration, and many other fields of study.
A History of Excellence
Listed below are just a few reasons why so many international students choose SDSU's American Language Institute.
- The ALI is a division of the College of Extended Studies, one of the eight colleges of SDSU, the flagship campus of the California State University system and the largest university in the San Diego region. SDSU has been designated a "Research University" with high research activity by the Carnegie Foundation.
- The ALI is a renowned teacher training center, educating teachers from around the world in the latest ESL/EFL teaching techniques and methodologies.
- ALI classes are taught by nationally recognized teachers with advanced degrees, trained in the latest teaching methods.
- The ALI is the only San Diego region member of UCIEP, the consortium of university and college administered intensive English programs in the United States. Additionally, the ALI is a member of AAIEP and NAFSA.
- The ALI's University Advising Services has a successful record of assisting students in gaining admission to degree programs throughout the U.S., including the SDSU Graduate School of Business. Dedicated academic advising is available to all ALI students at no additional charge.
- Advanced-level ALI students may enroll in regular SDSU classes and earn college credit without going through the San Diego State University admissions process.
- Through the Semester at SDSU program, the ALI offers certificate programs that are comprised of regular SDSU classes with American students and include official academic credit and transcripts.
- All ALI classes are taught on the SDSU campus in the Gateway Center and the Extended Studies Center. All ALI students have access to the high-speed computer and language labs in Gateway Center and the SDSU main library.
- The ALI offers on-campus housing year-round (dormitory and apartments).
- Students have easy access to metropolitan San Diego public transportation, including the San Diego Trolley at SDSU, offering ALI students rapid connections to prime destinations throughout the San Diego region.