Graduate Conditional Admission Conditional Admission Checklist FAQs
Graduate Conditional Admission
Graduate Conditional Admission to SDSU is for qualified students who want to apply for a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) or a Master's of Science in Accounting (MSA) degree at SDSU, but do not currently meet the SDSU English language proficiency and minimum GRE/GMAT test scores.
Undergraduate Conditional Admission to SDSU is also offered for qualified students who want to apply to SDSU as first-time freshmen but do not currently meet the SDSU English-language proficiency requirements.
Academically eligible students can receive guaranteed admission to SDSU upon completion of English-language study at the ALI. Academic eligibility is determined by a transcript evaluation through the SDSU Office of Admissions of official transcripts and academic credentials.
In order to apply for Graduate Conditional Admission, students must agree to the following items and complete the Graduate Conditional Admission Checklist.
- Graduate Conditional Admission through the ALI is a guaranteed admission to SDSU upon completion of English-language study through the Pre-MBA and Pre-Master's Program at the ALI.
- Graduate Conditional Admission requires a full evaluation by the SDSU Office of Admissions based on official transcripts and academic credentials.
- Students must submit an ALI application, proof of degree from an accredited university, transcripts demonstrating a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher, Statement of Purpose, and Resume. Optional letters of recommendation may also be submitted.
- Graduate Conditional Admission requires that candidates hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree earned at an accredited institution or one approved by a department and/or ministry of education in the host country, have attained a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 or equivalent, and be in good academic standing at all universities attended.
- Graduate Conditional Admission is not available to students with a TOEFL iBT of 80 or above, or IELTS 6.5 or above.
- Students have one year to demonstrate English proficiency and sufficient GRE/GMAT scores before enrolling in an MBA or MSA degree program at SDSU.
Graduate Conditional Admission Checklist
The following checklist is for students applying to SDSU for full Graduate Conditional Admission. Graduate Conditional Admission to SDSU is for qualified students who want to earn an MBA or MSA degree but do not meet the SDSU English-language proficiency requirements or minimum GRE/GMAT test score requirements. Conditional Admission through the ALI is not available with an iBT TOEFL score of 80 or above, or IELTS 6.5 or above.
- Complete the ALI online application at ali.sdsu.edu/apply.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org stating “I would like to apply for Graduate Conditional Admission.”
- Complete the following guidelines for sending official transcripts and academic credentials.
- Official academic records must arrive in a sealed envelope issued from all universities attended or from the Ministry of Education.
- Please send grade reports for each year of study completed.
- If a final degree has been earned, a certified copy must be sent for evaluation.
- All transcripts must be original, official academic records.
- Professional literal English translations are required for all documents issued in the native language(s). The translation must contain all information shown on the original language documents in the same format.
- Official university transcripts and graduation certificate/degree (if earned) must be sent directly to the American Language Institute at:
American Language Institute
San Diego State University
5250 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1914
- Admissible students will be issued a letter of Graduate Conditional Admission. The ALI Admissions office will send Conditional Admission letters via express mail.
- Students not meeting admission requirements will be notified via email.
Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Conditional Admission to SDSU
How can I receive Graduate Conditional Admission to SDSU?
Students seeking Graduate Conditional Admission must apply through the ALI's online application, and submit an email to email@example.com stating “I want to apply for Graduate Conditional Admission.” Students must also complete an evaluation of their official transcripts through the SDSU Office of Graduate Admissions. In order to be eligible for Graduate Conditional Admission students must apply for the Pre-MBA and Pre-Master's Program.
Where do I send my transcripts/academic records?
Official university transcripts and graduation certificate/degree (if earned) must be sent directly to the American Language Institute at:
American Language Institute, San Diego State University
San Diego State University
5250 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1914
How long does the evaluation take?
The evaluation takes approximately eight weeks from the time the ALI receives all official documents. When the evaluation is complete, the ALI will notify the student via email and SDSU will send the original Graduate Conditional Admissions letter to the ALI to be mailed along with the I-20.
Who issues the graduate conditional admission letter?
The Graduate Conditional Admission letter is issued and signed by the Vice President for Research & Dean of Graduate Affairs at SDSU. The letter includes the student's prospective major (MBA or MSA) at SDSU.
Who issues the I-20 form?
The I-20 form is issued by the Admissions Office of the American Language Institute, SDSU. The level of education is listed as “Language Training.” The major is listed as “Second Language Learning.” The remarks section will also list information about graduate conditional admission.
When will I receive my I-20?
The I-20 form will be issued after SDSU has completed the student evaluation and issued the Graduate Conditional Admission letter.
Can I get Graduate Conditional Admission if I'm a student transferring from another language school?
Yes, Graduate Conditional Admission is available for students currently studying in the U.S. at another language school and who want to transfer to ALI.
Does Graduate Conditional Admission guarantee I'll be admitted to SDSU?
Yes, Graduate Conditional Admission is a guarantee of admission to SDSU. Students with Graduate Conditional Admission will still need to complete the SDSU online application at www2.calstate.edu after arrival in San Diego.
Is the TOEFL exam, IELTS exam, or proof of English proficiency required to apply for Graduate Conditional Admission?
No, English proficiency is not required to apply for Graduate Conditional Admission. However, proof of English proficiency is required to matriculate to SDSU. Students can prove English proficiency by successfully completing Level 106 of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program and meeting the ALI TOEFL Waiver criteria, receiving a score of 80 or higher on TOEFL iBT, or receiving a score of 6.5 or higher on the overall score of IELTS.
Do I have to submit a separate application to SDSU?
Yes, Graduate Conditional Admission students must submit a complete SDSU application prior to matriculation. A complete application includes an online admission application, application fee, and financial statement. An ALI pre-university advisor will assist you with the application process.
How long is my Graduate Conditional Admission good for?
Graduate Conditional Admission is good for up to one year after it has been granted.
What if I don't know my Grade Point Average (GPA)?
If you do not know your GPA, please contact Kim Newcomb at the ALI Admissions Office.
What is the minimum GRE or GMAT score required for full admission to SDSU?
The minimum GRE score required is 311; the minimum GMAT score required is 600.