One of the benefits of being an ALI student is that you get a free Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) membership (teacher training programs are not included). Take advantage of world-class facilities. It's a great way to stay fit and to have fun, but most of all, the group classes and team sports are a great way to meet American students and to practice English.
There are many choices for fitness and fun – the Aquaplex (swimming pool, see below), rock climbing wall, cardio and weight room, and tennis and racquetball courts. And, there are many group classes – yoga, spinning, Zumba and Pilates. Team sports include soccer, tennis, basketball, and more. Visit arc.sdsu.edu for more information.
On-campus, World-class Facilities
- Spinning Studio – Use the newest spinning bikes.
- Group Fitness Studio – Complete with mirrored walls, suspended hardwood floor and a state-of-the art sound system and 60+ classes per week including Yoga, kickboxing, spinning, Zumba, Pilates, Step, Barre, and boot camp.
- Fitness Room – Use any of the dozens of weight machines or the variety of dumbbells and barbells.
- Cardio Room – Choose one of the 25 treadmills, 18 stationary bikes, 23 elliptical machines, 6 adaptive motion trainers, 8 Stairmaster StepMills or 4 indoor rowers.
- 30-foot Climbing Wall – Climb your way to fitness on the indoor rock.
- Gymnasium – Decide which sport – basketball, dodgeball, indoor soccer, wiffleball or volleyball – to play on one of the four full-sized hardwood courts.
- Weight-training Room – Take advantage of Olympic plates and thousands of pounds of dumbbells, barbells, freeweight benches, plate-loaded machines and more.
Included in the gym membership to the ARC is access to the Aquaplex pool. See below for all the Aquaplex has to offer. Visit arc.sdsu.edu/aquaplex for more information.
- Lap Pool – 50-meter pool is 51 x 23 meters with a one-meter movable bulkhead and two, three-meter and two, one-meter diving boards.
- Recreation Pool – A shallow pool with a beach-style entry leading into a depth of five feet. It has steps, a seating area and several lanes for lap swimming.
- Hydrotherapy Spa – A cloverleaf-shaped hot tub that is large enough to hold 20 people.
- Pool Equipment – Lounge chairs, floating lounges, kickboards, pull buoys, water basketballs, water volleyballs, and umbrella tables are available at no additional charge.
- Water Fitness Classes – Low-impact routines designed to keep you moving while you work all the major muscle groups of the body.