Staff Profile – Tuyen Nguyen – Housing Coordinator

Tuyen Nguyen

ALI Housing Coordinator Tuyen Nguyen

Since joining the staff of SDSU’s American Language Institute in 2011, Tuyen Nguyen has helped nurture thousands of incoming students.

Tuyen spent her first year working at the ALI front desk, answering a variety of questions from students coming to the ALI from throughout the world.

Today, she serves students by working as ALI’s housing coordinator, helping hundreds of students each semester find a place to live.

“I love working with students,” she said. “Not all of them come here with a high level of English proficiency. You have to learn how to be patient. I’m glad I started at the front desk and gained an appreciation for the international students.”

Tuyen now keeps in constant communication with worldwide students to make sure they are comfortable where they live and that everything is right in their living quarters.

“I like my team and the people I work with at ALI,” Tuyen said. “Things are ever-changing. You never do the same thing over and over again.”

Tuyen, who’s expecting her first child in September, was born in the Philippines from parents of Vietnamese descent. She spent the first year of her life in the Philippines before moving to Orange County in Southern California.

In her final two years of high school, Tuyen played badminton and enjoyed running and basketball, but her primary focus was on studying. She was also a member of volunteer service clubs on campus.

Tuyen was a marketing major at SDSU, also working as a student assistant for the Department of Public Safety on campus. She later was employed by T-Mobile.

“I enjoy SDSU and higher education,” she said. “I knew that I wanted to work in an educational setting. I enjoy helping students get to where they need to be.”

Tuyen stays in frequent communication with her mother and aunt, the only two of eight children in their family who do not live in Vietnam. Tuyen also stays in touch with numerous relatives in Asia.

Her last visit to Vietnam was 10 years ago to Ho Chi Minh City.

“I enjoy the countryside where my family lives,” she said. “The beaches and the weather are very nice.”

The same can be said for San Diego, an area that has provided her with a great living in the USA.