Current Student Information: Pre-MBA and Pre-Master’s Program

Pre-MBA and Pre-Master’s at SDSU

Pre-MBA/Pre-Master’s Blog Calendar New Students Current Students Attendance TOEFL Waiver Advising Student Resources

Pre-MBA/Pre-Masters Current Students

Current Student Information

Change of Contact Information

All students on an F-1 student visa must report any change in your U.S. address, email address, phone number, and home country address within 10 days.

Update your address via the ALI Student Portal:

If you cannot log in to the ALI Student Portal please submit your address via the Change of Information online form.

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Information

To print a paper copy of your I-94, or to get your I-94 number, click on the link below and fill out the requested information:

You may need your I-94 number or a paper copy of the I-94 for the following reasons:

  • get a driver’s license
  • get a social security card
  • show proof that you have a valid F-1 or J-1 status

Transfer to Another School

As an F-1 student you have 60 days from your program end date to apply to a new school and get accepted, and to provide your new school’s admission letter, and transfer form if applicable.

You must start your new school’s next available start date, and this cannot be more than 5 months from your ALI program end date.

Travel Outside the USA

Before you travel outside the USA please check page #3 of your I-20 form. You should already have a travel signature that is valid for one year from the signature date, or the end of the I-20 form listed in Section #5 of the first page, whichever is sooner. If you need a new travel signature, please see a Designated School Official (DSO) in the ALI Office.

To reenter the USA from a temporary absence, you will need:

  • Valid Passport. For some countries your passport must be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.
  • Valid F-1 Student visa. Note if you travel to Mexico or Canada, you may be able to reenter the USA on an expired F-1 visa via Automatic Visa Revalidation.
  • The ALI recommends you print out your I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) as it is additional proof of your valid F-1 status.

NOTE: You cannot leave and reenter the USA AFTER your studies have completed.

To travel outside the U.S. to a country other than your home country, an entry visa may be required. Call that country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. for information. For a list of all embassies and consulates in the U.S. visit,

If you have a valid US visa in your passport, you do not need to apply for a visa to visit Mexico.

If traveling to Canada, unless your country of citizenship is among the visa exempt countries, you will need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  A tourist TRV is generally issued for a period of six months and can be obtained at your nearest Canadian Immigration Visa Office.

Academic Probation

If you do not pass classes this semester, you may be placed on Academic Probation for the next semester.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Academic Probation

What is probation?
Probation is like a second chance. We give you one more semester to improve your performance. If you do not succeed, we may dismiss you from the program.

What happens while I am on probation?
You must pass your classes so that you can move up in general level.

What happens if I do not pass my level again?
If you must repeat classes or your level again, you may not be able to continue studying at the ALI. You will have 60 days to find another program and provide us with an acceptance letter to transfer.

I am in Level 105. I did not fail any classes, but I cannot move to Level 106 because my GPA is below 2.7. Will I be on probation next semester?
No, you will not be on probation. However, you must repeat Level 105.

General Level Information

Pre-MBA/Pre-Master’s – Level 104 and 105
Your level remains the same for the whole semester. You must be level 106 to be eligible for a TOEFL waiver. See TOEFL waiver to learn how to move up in your general level at the end of the semester to be eligible for a TOEFL waiver.

Computer Lab Information

The following labs are available for use by students:
Gateway Center (GC): 1520, 1530, and 2519
Extended Studies Center (ESC): 105 and 207
Important: Please DO NOT enter a lab when the sign says “closed,” because you may be disrupting a class or a test.

Lab Printing Rules

  • You may print assignments for ALI classes only
  • Do NOT print more than 10 pages
  • PowerPoint (ppt) printing must have six slides to a page (10 pages maximum)
  • Do not print from the internet

Language Lab Web Portal