IBE/SE Student Information

International Business English (IBE) at SDSU

IBE/SE Blog IBE Program Calendar Student Info Placement & Schedule Attendance Certificate IBE Project TOEIC Info TOEFL & IELTS Info Computer Labs Help & Advising


Welcome to the IBE/SE Fall Semester! 

Please check back often for updates about orientation testing and registration.
We look forward to seeing you!

IBE Students:
For all our continuing students, we hope are enjoying your Fall here at the ALI and SDSU.

For our new students who are are planning to arrive for our Fall B Session, we hope your plans are in place to arrive with us soon. Please read through this blog to find information about your program and how you can succeed as a student. If you have questions, please send us an email, and we will try to answer your questions quickly.

(Please note: The Social Entrepreneurship (SE) program will be combined with the IBE program for Fall 2017.)

ORIENTATION: The next IBE orientation will be for Fall B, on Monday, October 16th.  New students should plan to arrive at the ALI by 8:15am. You will be busy with testing and orientation activities Monday and Wednesday (Tuesday is a holiday). You will get a more detailed orientation schedule when you arrive.

TESTING: During Orientation, you will take placement tests. These tests include writing, reading, listening and speaking. We will use your test scores to determine your general level, and class level placement. Please note: IBE/SE programs accept TOEFL or IELTS scores to guarantee admission into the programs, but they do not consider TOEFL or IELTS scores in your general level determination.

REGISTRATION: You will pay tuition during orientation. Health insurance is now included with the basic tuition.

SCHEDULE HANDOUT: All new students will be given their Summer B class schedule on Wednesday, October 18th.  Schedule handout will be from 8:15-9:00am. Classes will at 9am on Wednesday, October 18th.

NEW SCHEDULE:  The IBE/SE programs has changed to a new schedule in 2017. Classes will run Monday-Thursday from 9:00am-2:45pm.  Friday elective classes will remain 9:30am-12:15pm.

If you are interested in staying for the spring semester (and have only registered for Fall), you should apply immediately. If you have questions, you can ask at the Front Desk of the ALI office.

No Smoking

SDSU is a Smoke and Tobacco Free Campus

Smoking and using other tobacco products on campus is not allowed, and there are no smoking areas. Please do not smoke while you are anywhere on the SDSU Campus.


Change of Information
All students on an F-1 student visa must report any change in your U.S. address, email address, phone number, and home country address within 10 days.

Update your address via the ALI Student Portal: http://ali.sdsu.edu/StudentPortal

If you cannot log in to the ALI Student Portal please submit your address via the Change of Information online form.

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Information
To print a paper copy of your I-94, or to get your I-94 number, click on the link below and fill out the requested information:


You may need your I-94 number or a paper copy of the I-94 for the following reasons:

  • get a driver’s license
  • get a social security card
  • show proof that you have a valid F-1 or J-1 status

Transfer to Another School
As an F-1 student you have 60 days from your program end date to apply to a new school and get accepted, and to provide your new school’s admission letter, and transfer form if applicable.

You must start your new school’s next available start date, and this cannot be more than 5 months from your ALI program end date.

Travel Outside the USA
Before you travel outside the USA please check page #3 of your I-20 form. You should already have a travel signature that is valid for one year from the signature date, or the end of the I-20 form listed in Section #5 of the first page, whichever is sooner. If you need a new travel signature, please see a Designated School Official (DSO) in the ALI Office.

To reenter the USA from a temporary absence, you will need:

  • Valid Passport. For some countries your passport must be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.
  • Valid F-1 Student visa. Note if you travel to Mexico or Canada, you may be able to reenter the USA on an expired F-1 visa via Automatic Visa Revalidation.
  • The ALI recommends you print out your I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) as it is additional proof of your valid F-1 status. https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

NOTE: You cannot leave and reenter the USA AFTER your studies have completed.

To travel outside the U.S. to a country other than your home country, an entry visa may be required. Call that country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. for information. For a list of all embassies and consulates in the U.S. visit, www.embassy.org.

If you have a valid US visa in your passport, you do not need to apply for a visa to visit Mexico. If traveling to Canada, unless your country of citizenship is among the visa exempt countries, you will need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. A tourist TRV is generally issued for a period of six months and can be obtained at your nearest Canadian Immigration Visa Office.