New Host Families
Becoming a host family is an incredibly rewarding experience. Getting to meet students from so many different countries, learning about their cultures, customs, and lifestyles, and making lifelong friends are just some of the reasons for becoming a host family.
Being able to share your culture with the students is also extremely valuable. This is a great opportunity to provide an international student with a genuine understanding of how we live in the United States. We are ambassadors for the United States and San Diego, and as such are delighted to welcome students from all over the world.
Considerations for hosting with the American Language Institute:
- Students come from all over the world and stay from as little as one month to four months.
- Short-Term Students = 6 weeks or less
- Long-Term Students = 8 weeks to one full semester
- Hosts must provide a private bedroom with the minimum of a twin-size bed, linens, desk, chair, lamp, closet space, dresser, and access to Wi-Fi, and laundry.
- Host will pick up their international student from the San Diego International Airport (SAN) and drop him/her off at the airport when the student's program is complete.
- 99% of students will request our #1 accommodation: Private Bedroom with Meals (access to breakfast and a prepared dinner) 7 days/week.
- This package is quoted at $900/month. Either the student will pay rent directly to the host family, or the rent money will come from the ALI in the form of a check.
- Host Family must live within a 30-minute commute via public transportation to SDSU/ALI.
To begin the Host Family Questionnaire & Application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Host Families
We would like to thank our current host families for their continued support to the American Language Institute (ALI) Homestay program. ALI students have told us of the generosity, kindness, and good times they've experienced with their host families. We hope that you've experienced the same level of enjoyment and cultural understanding from opening up your homes to the many international students that we serve.
Additional resources for host families: