Conditional Admission | CA Checklist | CA FAQs
Undergraduate Conditional Admission
American Language Institute students who are interested in matriculating to San Diego State University (SDSU) for an undergraduate degree have the opportunity to apply for Undergraduate Conditional Admission.
Undergraduate Conditional Admission to SDSU is for qualified students who want to apply to SDSU as first-time freshmen but do not currently meet the SDSU English-language proficiency requirements. Academically eligible students can receive guaranteed admission to SDSU upon completion of English-language study at the ALI. Academic eligibility is determined by a transcript evaluation through the SDSU Office of Admissions of official transcripts and academic credentials.
In order to apply for Undergraduate Conditional Admission, students must agree to the following items and complete the Undergraduate Conditional Admission Check List.
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission through the ALI is a guaranteed admission to SDSU upon completion of English-language study at the ALI.
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission requires a full evaluation by the SDSU Office of Admissions based on official transcripts and academic credentials.
- Students must complete the evaluation process within 60 days of applying for Undergraduate Conditional Admission and submitting the ALI online application.
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission requires a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4-point scale).
- Processing time is approximately four weeks from the time the ALI Admissions Office has confirmed receipt of required official documents (transcripts, graduation certificate, etc.).
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission through the ALI is only available to first-time freshmen, students who have completed high school prior to enrolling to SDSU, and who have not had any university coursework after high school.
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission is not available to students seeking an SDSU master's degree, students seeking a second bachelor's degree, or students with a TOEFL iBT of 80 or above, or IELTS 6.5 or above.
- Undergraduate Conditional Admission is not available to students who attended an English speaking high school for three or more years.
- Students have two years to demonstrate English proficiency before enrolling in a bachelor's level degree program at SDSU.
Undergraduate Conditional Admission Check List
The following check list is for students applying to SDSU for full Undergraduate Conditional Admission. Undergraduate Conditional Admission to SDSU is for qualified students who want to earn an undergraduate degree but do not meet the SDSU English-language proficiency requirements. Undergraduate Conditional Admission through the ALI is not available for SDSU graduate studies, students seeking a second undergraduate degree, transfer students, or students with an iBT TOEFL score of 80 or above, or IELTS 6.5 or above.
- Complete the Conditional Admission section of the ALI online application at ali.sdsu.edu/apply.
- Submit current financial statement with existing funds in the account, and a copy of your passport to the ALI admissions office at email@example.com.
- Submit digital copies of academic records by following the guidelines included below:
- Academic records, including high school transcripts and graduation certificate/diploma (if earned) must be issued from the secondary institution(s) or the Ministry of Education. Professional English translations are required for all documents issued in the native language(s).
- For secondary studies, please send grade reports for each year of study completed (i.e., 9-12th grade or 10-12th grade).
- If a final diploma and/or graduation certificate has been earned, a digital copy must be sent for evaluation.
- Digital copies of all academic records must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation. These digital copies must be (in) legible (PDF format), and match all of the same information that would appear on an original, official transcripts and graduation certificate/diploma.
- You must complete the evaluation process within 60 days of applying for Undergraduate Conditional Admission and completing the ALI online application.
- Admissible students will be issued a letter of Undergraduate Conditional Admission. The ALI Admissions office will send Conditional Admission letters via express mail. Students not meeting admission requirements will be notified via email.
- After arrival at the ALI, and prior to matriculation to SDSU, all original, official academic records must be submitted to SDSU in a sealed envelope. An ALI pre-university advisor will assist students with the admission process.
Frequently Asked Questions about Undergraduate Conditional Admission to SDSU
How can I receive Undergraduate Conditional Admission to SDSU?
Students seeking Undergraduate Conditional Admission must apply through the ALI's online application. Students must also complete an evaluation of their official transcripts through the SDSU Office of Admissions. In order to be eligible for Conditional Admission students must apply for the English for Academic Purposes (EAP), Intensive English for Communication (IEC), or International Business English (IBE) programs.
Where do I send my transcripts/academic records?
Official copies of high school transcripts and graduation certificate/diploma (if earned) should be emailed to email@example.com. Official high school transcripts and graduation certificate/diploma (if earned) can also be sent directly to the American Language Institute at:
American Language Institute
SDSU Global Campus
San Diego State University
5250 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1914
How long does the evaluation take?
The evaluation takes approximately four weeks from the time the ALI receives all official documents. When the evaluation is complete, the ALI will notify the student via email and SDSU will send the original Undergraduate Conditional Admissions letter to the ALI to be mailed along with the I-20.
Who issues the undergraduate conditional admission letter?
The Undergraduate Conditional Admission letter is issued and signed by the associate vice president for enrollment management at SDSU. The letter includes the student's prospective major at SDSU. The following majors are not available through Undergraduate Conditional Admission: athletic training, dance, music, nursing, and theatre performing arts.
Who issues the I-20 form?
The I-20 form is issued by the Admissions Office of the American Language Institute, SDSU. The level of education is listed as “Language Training.” The major is listed as “Second Language Learning.” The remarks section will also list information about conditional admission.
When will I receive my I-20?
The I-20 form will be issued after SDSU has completed the student evaluation and issued the Undergraduate Conditional Admission letter.
Can I get Undergraduate Conditional Admission if I'm a student transferring from another language school?
Yes, Undergraduate Conditional Admission is available for students currently studying in the U.S. at another language school and who want to transfer to ALI.
Can I get Undergraduate Conditional Admission if I have studied at another university in the U.S. or my home country?
No, Conditional Admission is only available to first-time freshmen, students who have completed high school prior to enrolling to SDSU, and who have not had any university coursework after high school.
Does Undergraduate Conditional Admission guarantee I'll be admitted to SDSU?
Yes, Undergraduate Conditional Admission is a guarantee of admission to SDSU. Students with Undergraduate Conditional Admission will still need to complete the SDSU online application at calstate.edu/apply after arrival in San Diego.
Is the TOEFL exam, IELTS exam, or proof of English proficiency required to apply for Undergraduate Conditional Admission?
No, English proficiency is not required to apply for Undergraduate Conditional Admission. However, proof of English proficiency is required to matriculate to SDSU. Students can prove English proficiency by successfully completing Level 106 of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program and meeting the ALI TOEFL Waiver criteria, receiving a score of 80 or higher on TOEFL iBT, or receiving a score of 6.5 or higher on the overall score of IELTS.
Do I have to submit a separate application to SDSU?
Yes, Undergraduate Conditional Admission students must submit a complete SDSU application prior to matriculation. A complete application includes an online (calstate.edu/apply) application, application fee, and financial statement. An ALI pre-university advisor will assist you with the application process.
How long is my Undergraduate Conditional Admission good for?
Undergraduate Conditional Admission is good for up to two years after it has been granted.
What if I don't know my Grade Point Average (GPA)?
If you do not know your GPA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.